Lighting: Newbuild Challenges & Opportunities
Shipyard schedules are becoming shorter, while developments in design are dictating that a new approach should be mandatory in the delivery of each brand’s vision and ethos. Owners are expecting more ‘wow’ from designers, so how can lighting designers help promote the brand’s identity, while quietly playing the supporting role? the devil is in the detail. Through two case studies, Edge and Virgin explored how best to fully integrate lighting into the delivery of the design brief.
Our speakers covered:
- Variation from reference ships: introducing approaches
- Considerations: cost, weight and technical aspects, quality of device, lighting control protocols, and cabling requirements
- Pushing the boundaries on EDGE – new technologies
- What were the success factors for new design concepts for Edge and Virgin, and how did those differ?
- Keeping up to date with the fast pace of lighting technology changes
- Where are the opportunities for specifying new technologies and new brands?
Founder & Creative Director
MRD – Lighting Design